Just For Fun – Day 6
This is an easy one! My 5 senses right now are:
1. Sight – I can see my computer screen in front of me, which is decorated with about a dozen post-it-notes. Yes that is my way of making sure I don’t forget things!
2. Smell – I’m in my bedroom so the only thing I can really smell is the scent of Nivea moisturiser I just put on my face.
3. Sound – right now I’m listening to an album I just downloaded, Sam & Dave’s Greatest Hits, I’m A Soul Man!
4. Taste – the after taste of minty fresh toothpaste is lingering in my mouth at the moment.
5. Touch – I’m tapping the keyboard as I type this post, my bum is perched on a chair and my legs are crossed underneath me.
I’ve also decided to include a poem I wrote shortly after my nan died. I read it through a few days ago and realised I included the five senses in it without knowing it at the time. It’s called “Sugar-Frosting Effect” I hope you enjoy it 🙂
Grass stiff and hard
each blade stands erect,
soldiers in camouflage with silver helmets
a sugar frosting effect.
Footsteps crunch but don’t mark
the twinkling, winking ground,
they hasten up the sleet stone steps indoors
now only silence echoes round.
A finger strokes wooden altars
polished until they shine,
a grieving mind wanders
becoming lost amongst past times.
A warm, musty smell
rises from a book,
a heart senses the presence
without having to look.
Sunshine dances and sparkles
through rainbow stained windows,
eyes are dazzled by being inside a giant kaleidoscope
jewel colours dapple and glow.
Holy joys fill the silence
distant voices herald and protect,
whilst a weary body slowly sinks into a pew
tasting tears salty and wet.
Then I start to sing a sweet morning song
there is hope left,
and for a moment somebody smiles and listens. . .
It must be that sugar frosting effect.